There are two fallacies that most people believe surrounding the issue of chiropractic and children: 1. chiropractors only treat neck and lowback pain and 2. children do not need to go to a chiropractor. The facts are that chiropractors primarily focus on aligning the spine in an effort to reduce pressure on nerves due to subluxations (bones that are out of alignment and thus put pressure on the surrounding soft tissues causing nerve interference), it is the removal of nerve interference that allows the body to function at optimal levels and therefore allow for the resolution of conditions related to improper nerve function. Regarding the notion that kids do not need to see chiropractors, below is a list of reasons why children should see a chiropractor:
- To improve neural plasticity (brain and nerve development)/improve neural pathways
- To reduce ear aches and ear infections
- To strengthen immunity
- To help with colic and Irritable Baby Syndrome.
- To help with asthma, breathing difficulties , upper respiratory infections and allergies.
- To improve posture.
- To improve ability to concentrate, reduce symptoms of ADHD/ADD, and to enhance overall cognitive ability
- To help alleviate digestive problems.
- To assist with bed-wetting
- To improve sleep quality
Chiropractic treatment is very safe and effective for children- a peer reviewed study of the literature (Pistolese R. JVSR 2(2) 1998) was performed from 1977 to 1998 and found the risk to neurological or vascular complications from chiropractic care to be 1/250,000,000. It is important to compare this with something like the risk of serious adverse injury from taking an aspirin at 4/1,000.
(Dr. Gary Eshanov, is a Montclair family chiropractor and recommends chiropractic check-ups for kids of all ages. Schedule an appointment for a consultation today: www.MontclairChiropracticCenter.com or call (973)900-2660.)