Fifty percent of all pregnant women experience back pain during their pregnancy and 50% to 75% of women experience back pain during labor.1-3 However, only 21% of pregnant women with back pain seek consultation with their medical physicians.2,4
Clearly, these statistics demonstrate that the majority of pregnant mothers undergo pain and suffering unnecessarily! Primary care doctors are not advising their patients to seek the care of chiropractors. Chiropractors align the spine and thus help re-align poor posture and spinal/skeletal malpositioning. When mothers are pregnant physical changes take place throughout the body compromising proper posture which in turn causes discomfort. First, there is weight gain, then a protruding abdomen; this causes an increased lumbar curve (a.k.a. hyperlordosis) and pelvic changes. Hyperlordosis causes postural modifications. So what does all this mean? Pelvic misalignment may reduce the amount of room available for a growing developing baby- known as intrauterine constraint. According to the American Pregnancy Association,”A misaligned pelvis may also make it difficult for the baby to get into the best possible position for delivery. This can affect the mother’s ability to have a natural, non-invasive birth. Breech and posterior positions can interfere with the natural ease of labor and lead to interventions such as c-sections.” So what is the solution for pregnant mothers who are in pain and discomfort? What’s a good suggestion for mothers seeking a quicker-easier delivery? CHIROPRACTIC CARE!
CHIROPRACTIC CARE FOR PREGNANT MOTHERS IS A MUST!
“The International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) recommends that women receive chiropractic care throughout pregnancy to establish pelvic balance and optimize the room a baby has for development throughout pregnancy. With a balanced pelvis, babies have a greater chance of moving into the correct position for birth, and the crisis and worry associated with breech and posterior presentations may be avoided altogether. Optimal baby positioning at the time of birth also eliminates the potential for dystocia (difficult labor) and therefore results in easier and safer deliveries for both the mother and baby.” (//www.americanpregnancy.org)
The obvious conclusion is that pregnant mothers should seek out chiropractic care. Not only is the care palliative in that it reduces low back pain and hip pain, it is also beneficial for the baby. Doing what’s best for the mother and the baby should be the family’s first priority. Montclair family chiropractor, Dr. Gary Eshanov, advises families to do some research, interview some chiropractors and find one that they feel comfortable with. Certain things to ask include:
- Does the chiropractor work with pregnant mothers? (some do not)
- What techniques does the doctor employ?
- Is the doctor easily accessible or can they take a patient within 24 hours? (some chiropractors are booked far in advance)
Dr. Eshanov also advises patients to bring any relevant medical history documentation to the perspective chiropractor and to discuss any health complications, if any, with the doctor. Chiropractic treatment is a great option for pregnant mothers who are suffering from discomfort and for those seeking a speedier delivery! Do not wait until after pregnancy to start feeling better…start today!
1. Phillips C.J., Meyer J.J. Chiropractic care, including craniosacral therapy, during pregnancy: a static-group comparison of obstetric interventions during labor and delivery. J Manipulative Physiol Ther.1995;18(8):525–529. [PubMed]
2. Diakow P.R.P., Gadsby T.A., Gadsby J.B., Gleddie J.G., Leprich D.J., Scales A.M. Back pain during pregnancy and labor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991;14(2):116–118. [PubMed]
3. Berg G., Hammer M., Moller-Nielsen J., Linden U., Thorblad J. Low back pain in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 1988;71:71–75. [PubMed]
4. Fast A., Shapiro D., Ducommun E.J., Friedmann L.W., Bouklas T., Flowman Y. Low back pain in pregnancy. Spine. 1987;12:368. [PubMed]
(Dr. Gary Eshanov, a chiropractor in Montclair NJ, treats pregnant mothers with non-invasive safe gentle chiropractic techniques. Treatments for pregnant mothers include spinal adjustments, light stretching, and myofascial work. The doctor is available for consultations. Consultations are available by appointment only.)